Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cranes for Cancer

An acquaintance of mine got married a few years ago and created 1000 origami cranes for her wedding. A thousand origami cranes is good luck in Japanese culture. I thought this was ambitious and interesting so of course I added it to my bucket list. I've been afraid to start because I can be the queen of the almost finished (and I have the scrapbooks, cross stitch and quilts to prove it) and I was having little mental vignettes of tiny cranes all over the house and Craig wondering what the hell was going on because he found some in his boots. So I've put it off. It wasn't on my list for this year.

But then I found this site and felt like this was my motivation. I have been so incredibly blessed by God. I want to make these cranes and ship them off to someone in need of a little luck however they may get it. I want to finish these cranes and send them off with love and prayers and hope to someone out there who needs a little (or a lot!) of all three. I am researching now origami paper (because apparently you should use a special kind) and in April I will start making them. I would like to finish by next April which will be my 39th birthday. I've learned to give myself a time frame or it won't get done!

Anyone else want to make cranes? I picture little wine and crane parties. Sitting around making cranes and talking about life. I'm game!!

7 comments:

  1. I've heard of this before! I also have a friend who made 1,000 of those cranes for her wedding.

    Don't they have used handmade cranes for sale out there? What better use of all these cranes afterwards than to sell/donate them to another wedding!

    Or perhaps this is against the good luck rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just clicked the link you have to the site that inspired you... This is a far better way of utilizing cranes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Stephanie! Thanks for visiting my blog. I wonder if we could get a couple of us bucket listers to do this as a group. Anything that keeps me on track and accountable helps me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working on my Cranes for Cancer for a couple of months and it's taking a lot longer than I thought, however I can't wait to see it when it's complete. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't follow through as well, but so far I just tell myself to do some each week and it helps keep me motivated. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi TTD! Thanks for visiting my blog! I love to see both of yours and am looking forward to Winey Thoughts posts as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work as a nurse for kids with cancer, so when you are done and would like to donate a few to me, I can personally pass them out to kids on my unit. I love the idea of attaching string so they can decorate their IV poles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a cute idea! Those would be the happiest, most joyful IV poles in the universe :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...