Thursday, March 1, 2012

Travel with a Purpose: Ideas for Voluntourism

I've decided to start a new series called Travel with a Purpose Thursdays. I'm lazy and I don't want to have to go back through all my posts to find ideas for travel in the future and I want guests to my blog to easily find ideas if they too decide to Travel with a Purpose. So today I'm honoring a woman who has broken many barriers on her home continent.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is the first and currently only female elected head of state in Africa. She was awarded the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize with two other women for their dedication to women's causes in the world. These are women who make us proud to have two X chromosomes! Liberia is a country with a fascinating history some of it tied to the US. English is the official language of the country making travel a teensy bit easier. Though the state department makes it clear that travel here is no cake walk, I think this would be an interesting first step into volunteering in Africa.

Children Better Way (CBW) offers a variety of opportunities (from education to agriculture) to anyone who can stay for a month. Many of the positions don't necessarily deal with children. I have to admit I'm torn on this. I deal with my children at home so when I vacation usually I like to be child free, but I think I could make an exception here. I'd love to hear more about this group if you have more information.

CAVEAT EMPTOR: I personally have not worked with this orgainzation. Be sure to do all due diligence in researching a group before giving them any money and travelling to a foreign country to work with them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...