Sunday, January 1, 2012

All these FIRSTS must be a sign OR 12 for 12

What a unique day January 1, 2012 is! It's the first day of the WEEK, MONTH, AND YEAR! I take this as a sign. And after my paucity of Bucket List cross offs last year, I figure I need to take matters into my own hands and pick specific things off the list to complete for the year.

First off I need to Organize my bucket list! (which is actually on my bucket list but I won't count it for my 12 :) )

1. Books to Read (from 1001 Books to Read Before You Die):

1. The Portrait of a Lady – Henry James
2. The Brothers Karamazov – Fyodor Dostoevsky
3. The Count of Monte-Cristo – Alexandre Dumas
4. The Purloined Letter – Edgar Allan Poe
5. Return of the Native – Thomas Hardy
6. The Story of O – Pauline Réage
7. Cat’s Cradle – Kurt Vonnegut  01/03/12
8. The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
9. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold – John Le Carré 1-13-12
10. Choke – Chuck Palahniuk 01/08/12
11. The Sound and the Fury – William Faulkner
12. Look Homeward, Angel – Thomas Wolfe
13. The Red Queen – Margaret Drabble
14. Life of Pi – Yann Martel
15. The Blind Assassin – Margaret Atwood
16. The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver
17. Cocaine Nights – J.G. Ballard
18. The Virgin Suicides – Jeffrey Eugenides
19. American Psycho – Bret Easton Ellis
20. Like Water for Chocolate – Laura Esquivel 01/05/12
21. Beloved – Toni Morrison
22. Less Than Zero – Bret Easton Ellis
23. The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
24. Rabbit, Run – John Updike
25. Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Truman Capote
26. Perfume – Patrick Süskind
This is just over 2 a month. Some of which won't be a problem, but Brothers Karamazov has been partially read for years so this will take commitment.

2. Movies to Watch (from the list of movies that won Best Picture):

1. 1959 - "Ben-Hur"
2. 1952 - "The Greatest Show on Earth"
3. 1951 - "An American in Paris"
4. 1969 - "Midnight Cowboy"
5. 1971 - "The French Connection" 01/12/12
6. 2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
7. 2010 - "The King's Speech"
8. 1985 - "Out of Africa"
9. 1984 - "Amadeus"
10. 1979 - "Kramer vs. Kramer"
11. 1978 - "The Deer Hunter"
12. 1949 - "All the Kings Men"
This works out to one a month. Hurt Locker is on my TIVO so it's my January choice.

3. Ride a camel (Morocco)
4. Get hennaed (Morocco)
5. Dance on the bar at Coyote Ugly (At NFR 2012)
6. Drink Absinthe in Paris
7. See a solar eclipse (an annular solar eclipse will occur in northwest Texas that we are planning to see)

8. Plant a vegetable garden and learn how to can using a pressure cooker
9. Donate platelets once a month for a year.

10. Spend 3 months getting my body in optimum shape STARTING TODAY!
11. Rollerblade
12. Learn Michael Jackson’s Thriller dance

2 comments:

  1. That list of books is daunting to say the least. However, the movies are so doable. I've seen more than half...including Titanic I've got The Hurt Locker on DVD but no working player OK. I can watch on my computer. Maybe we should set a date to discuss it.

    P.S. i have been wondering what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized my very long version of count of monte cristo is ABRIDGED. so I might be moving that off and another easier book on :) I carefully chose these as half "short and easy" half "tough to tackle."

    I love the idea of a Hurt Locker discussion date! Craig (mr. right wing conspiracist) refuses to watch it with me LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...