Monday, January 9, 2012

Andrea's Bucket List- Part 1

I was shocked how many of my friends emailed me or posted on my facebook that they didn't have bucket lists. WOW. One asked me if things were "okay" to put on the list and my answer was "It's YOUR list do what you want!" Another friend was afraid to start one because she didn't have the time or money to do any of it right now. And I realized. Bucket Lists can be scary. It's a giant HA HA at you for things you can't do right now. So I came up with a few ideas I figured I'd share. Plus I want to post my bucket list on this blog (but mine is realllllly long so I will have to do it in installments!) so I have it on the Internet in case my computer I have it on dies....though I do have it on google docs as well. It's important information this Bucket List.

1. You can't make a mistake. It's your list. If you change your mind, delete an entry. It's not set in stone. I add to mine all the time. Initially I wanted to ride a camel IN the Sahara. After doing research, yeah, not so much. Riding a camel period is enough for me!

2. You don't have to complete them all. So you don't get to them all so what? Who really cares? I promise there are no Bucket List police! I have things I am unlikely to complete (volunteering for a month abroad? Unlikely while I'm married to Craig. And I'm stuck with him till I die. Or he does. Hmmmmm.)

3. It doesn't have to cost any money. In fact you could have a bucket list of all FREE things. Now that could be a challenge! You could have a bucket list of only things you want to volunteer your time with. So you stay at home with your kids. Go to a nursing home FOR FREE and hang out for a couple hours, play bingo. The kids will learn something (patience, understanding, sympathy) and the elders will love the new company. Just let the residents win at bingo. Those games get ugly!

4. Bucket Lists tell you about who you are. And where you want to be. It's an exploration of self. It's a motivation to stop letting life HAPPEN to you and deciding you are going to LIVE it. It's a positive reinforcement that something good is coming up and the next turn you take will be that much more to achieve. I don't mean to get all uplifting and crap but I personally am sad when I hear someone doesn't have or want a Bucket List. I mean if you don't know where you are going then how do you know you got there? Or even more so how can you look forward to the journey?

One thing I learned about my trip with Craig was that surprise visits that HAPPEN to you take all the joy and anticipation out of it. His ONLY complaint about the whole thing is that he didn't have the weeks to look forward to the trip. Talking it out with friends and family. HEetold me the next time I wanted to do something I could just do it but LET HIM KNOW.

And that is my bucket list in a nut shell. It's a way of telling myself. HERE. This is your journey. I have no idea how you are getting there. I have no idea WHEN you are getting there. But check out the books. Read about them. Research them because ONE DAY. One Day you will be the one standing there taking the picture and helping someone else get there too!

ADVENTURE

Set foot on each of the seven continents.

Climb the cliffs to Masada

Trek to see Anasazi Cliff Dwellings

Participate in Carnival in Venice or Brazil

Walk the Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver, BC

Run to the top of the Statue of Liberty


Throw tomatoes at Tomatina (thanks Cindy for reminding me...I wanted this on my list too!)

SCUBA in the Great Barrier Reef  ( I have a horrible fear of sharks.....this will probably never happen)

Raft in the Grand Canyon

Rappel in the dark at Natural Bridge Caverns

Take an around the world trip (maybe?)

WATCH the running of the bulls in Pamplona

Go on a red dress run

Travel somewhere foreign alone.

Rollerblade

Drive across America coast to coast

Heli-Hike in British Columbia

Hike in the Catskills

Travel  for 24 hours with only a purse.  January 2009 in Las Vegas

White Water raft in West Virginia

White Water raft in the Grand Canyon

Sky dive

Kayak in the San Juan Islands

Jeep (or ATV) through Moab

See Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills

Dance on the bar at Coyote Ugly

Ride a hot air balloon October 2009 in Central California

I have lots more parts but this is enough for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...